How waiting to hire a lawyer may affect your injury claim
After being involved in a car accident or other kind of personal injury accident, an injured victim should contact a lawyer as soon as possible to begin investigating the accident and preparing a legal claim on behalf of the victim. Waiting too long to retain legal representation may make it harder to win a claim or recover full compensation for injuries and losses.
What Can a Lawyer Do for You in a Car Accident Claim?
When you have a car accident claim, promptly hiring a lawyer to pursue your claim on your behalf can lead to a much-improved outcome in your case.
Some of the ways that lawyers can quickly begin helping in your car accident case include:
- Collecting and preserving evidence from the accident scene, including taking photos of important details like damage to the vehicles involved and surrounding property, collecting surveillance or traffic cam footage, obtaining copies of the police accident report, and reaching out to eyewitnesses to the accident
- Documenting your injuries by taking photographs of any visible injuries and obtaining copies of your medical records and reviewing the records of your treating providers to monitor the progress of your recovery
- Calculating the estimated compensation you deserve to receive in your claim, including preparing persuasive arguments in favor of financial recovery for non-economic losses such as pain and suffering
- Handling communications with the insurance company on your behalf, so that you can focus on your treatment and do not need to worry about being pressured by insurance adjusters
- Thoroughly investigating the accident to identify legal theories you may be entitled to pursue to prove that the other party was responsible for the occurrence of the accident
By waiting to hire a lawyer after being involved in a car accident, you may end up losing out on the opportunity to secure evidence that may be critical to your case, or you may have a harder time proving the injuries and losses that you have suffered because of the accident.
Other Personal Injury Claims That Can Be Affected by Not Promptly Hiring a Lawyer
Other kinds of personal injury claims that you might have may also be adversely impacted by not promptly seeking legal representation include:
- Slip/trip and fall cases, as evidence from the scene of the fall or critical surveillance footage, may be quickly lost if you don’t have an attorney who will move to preserve the evidence
- Medical malpractice claims, since investigating and preparing a malpractice case requires a lot of time, including having medical experts review your treatment records, and deadlines to file lawsuits or legal notices necessary to successfully pursue your claims against the negligent healthcare providers
- Injuries occurring due to negligent security
- Wrongful death claims, which may arise from a wide range of accidents including motorcycle accidents, truck accidents, pedestrian accidents, defective product accidents, or workplace accidents
Contact a Clark Personal Injury Lawyer to Discuss Your Injury Case in New Jersey
Did you or a loved one sustain serious injuries due to a car accident or other type of accident in New Jersey? Don’t let the bills pile up while you wait for the insurance company to do the right thing. Right now, you need an aggressive personal injury attorney on your side, fighting to get you the compensation you need, want, and deserve. The skilled attorneys at Team Law represent clients injured because of car accidents in Newark, Jersey City, Paterson, Elizabeth, and throughout New Jersey. Call (732) 540-1394 or fill out our online contact form to schedule a free consultation about your case. We have an office conveniently located at 136 Central Ave., Clark, NJ 07066, as well as offices in West New York, Perth Amboy, Edison, Summit, Newark, New Brunswick, Orange, Plainfield, and Jersey City.
The articles on this blog are for informative purposes only and are no substitute for legal advice or an attorney-client relationship. If you are seeking legal advice, please contact our law firm directly.